Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New President

I couldn't help watching the inauguration today. I cannot say that I voted for our new president, but I think it's a great thing for our country that we were finally able to put a black man in the White House. I have to admit that I was a little emotional watching this and thinking about how we are experiencing a day that will surely go down in history.

I am hopeful that President Obama will be able to use the good will he has generated to make a positive difference in the way this country is run. I was particularly struck by the prayers that were included in the ceremony--and somewhat surprised to see that prayer is still a part of this process. I thought during these prayers about what they were saying. At some parts I wondered if they were really praying or speech-making, but the overall idea of commending this new first family to the protection of God and praying that our president will be able to lead with integrity and honor and wisdom really struck me.

We had a lesson in church on Sunday about leadership and the one of the ladies there mentioned that we ought to pray for the leaders of our country as well as the leaders of our church. She quoted Ezra Taft Benson saying that his family always prayed for the leaders of our nation when he was a child, but he doubted whether that practice had been carried into subsequent generations. I thought about that today and I decided to kneel down and pray for our new president. I prayed for the things that I hope--that he will be able to do what is best for our country and help our country to heal from the various problems afflicting it right now.

It's a new year, a new presidential administration, and a new era in American history. May we move forward with hope and progress as we do as President Obama requested and return to the values upon which this country was founded.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

What a nice post! I too am hopeful that he will be able to break down some of the barriers in Washington and accomplish some things. I can say that I actually believe he thinks he can do it, and that's saying alot!