
I thought that today was an appropriate time to start blogging becuse today was Ruby's first day of school and I know lots of you are interested in how it went. Her school is just about a mile from our apartment, so we decided to walk. I loaded the kids into their wagon and pulled them. I'm hoping that I'll lose some weight from walking back and forth to the school twice each day. I have to admit that I'm a little worn out from doing it today, but it'll get easier. I was fine this morning and on the way back to the school this afternoon, but that second trip home in the blistering sun kind of got to me (even with a hat and sunglasses).
The Kindergarten classes have the parents stay for about an hour the first day to have a meeting with the teacher and help the kids get used to the idea of being in school. Charles arranged to go to work late so that he could come with us. It was nice. Ruby's teacher, Mrs. Viau (pronounced "Vee-Oh"--it's French) had each
kid get their picture taken with his or her parents so that she can learn who belongs with which kid. I thought that was a good idea. Ruby and I had already met her teacher and a couple of the other parents and kids when we went to orientation last Thursday. I was really glad we went because Ruby warmed up to the whole idea much faster today. One of the things Mrs. Viau had the kids do with their parents was to find certain things in the classroom (like their cubbies, desks, the drinking fountain, etc.) and get a sticker on their paper when they found each thing.
The kids liked that a lot and I thought it was a really geat ice breaker activity for the kids. After that activity and a family photo, we went home and left Ruby to finish her first day of school.
kid get their picture taken with his or her parents so that she can learn who belongs with which kid. I thought that was a good idea. Ruby and I had already met her teacher and a couple of the other parents and kids when we went to orientation last Thursday. I was really glad we went because Ruby warmed up to the whole idea much faster today. One of the things Mrs. Viau had the kids do with their parents was to find certain things in the classroom (like their cubbies, desks, the drinking fountain, etc.) and get a sticker on their paper when they found each thing.
The kids liked that a lot and I thought it was a really geat ice breaker activity for the kids. After that activity and a family photo, we went home and left Ruby to finish her first day of school.Many mothers would be very emotional and teary eyed upon leaving their first child at school for her first day of kindergarten. I am not one of those mothers. I was ecstatic as Charles, Russell and I walked home from the school. I don't think the reasons I felt that way were entirely selfish, although I was really looking
forward to only having one kid for a few hours. I knew that Ruby would take to school really well and that she would enjoy it. It's the kind of environment that I think she'll thrive in. It's hard to be sad when your kid is starting something that you know will be a really great positive and rewarding experience. And my instincts about that turned out to be spot on. When I picked Ruby up she said that school was fun and she really liked it. The teacher
dismissed the kids individually and Ruby was one of the first ones out the door, so I assume she behaved herself. Russell was much easier to deal with by himself and I actually managed to get some dishes and laundry done before I had to go back to the school to pick up Ruby. I think this school thing is going to be great!
forward to only having one kid for a few hours. I knew that Ruby would take to school really well and that she would enjoy it. It's the kind of environment that I think she'll thrive in. It's hard to be sad when your kid is starting something that you know will be a really great positive and rewarding experience. And my instincts about that turned out to be spot on. When I picked Ruby up she said that school was fun and she really liked it. The teacher
dismissed the kids individually and Ruby was one of the first ones out the door, so I assume she behaved herself. Russell was much easier to deal with by himself and I actually managed to get some dishes and laundry done before I had to go back to the school to pick up Ruby. I think this school thing is going to be great!



7 comments:
Welcome to the blog world Angeline!
How exciting about Ruby starting kindergarten. She looks so mature in her uniform and short haircut. I am sure she is just going to love being in school. She always seems so eager to learn and take in new things. I'll be an offical blog reader of yours. :)
congrats Ruby (and you angeline!) Ruby looks cute in her little dress.
Yea I'm so glad you started a blog. It is really nice for keeping in touch. I can't believe Ruby is in Kindergarten. Is she in a private school. I was just wondering with the uniforms. I love uniforms on kids. I think they are so cute. It was so fun to see you at the wedding. One of these days I am going to do a blog about it. I think I'm going to put pictures from when we were kids and do like a back then and now thing. You guys might kill me though because I was not a great photographer when I was 12. :)
welcome to blogging! it's so much fun & WAY easier to keep up with each other! i added you to my list so i can check regularly!
Hello Angeline! I'm really happy to hear that Ruby had a great first day at school. Isn't it crazy to see your kids growing up so fast? I remember when my niece and nephew were little and they just started going to school. Being a parent must be a wonderful experience outside of the stressful world we live in. I'm thrilled that all is going well for you and good luck with the exercising! I need to get to the gym too. :) Hope your day goes well, and am looking forward to reading more! Tell your kids I say hello :)
Ruby's not at a private school. The public elementary schools here require uniforms.
Welcome to the blogisphere! I've already bookmarked you and will be awaiting your next post. Kindergarten is wonderful! Gunnar and I met with his teacher yesterday and he starts next week. I WISH they required uniforms here, it would be so much easier on my clothing budget. :)
Post a Comment